Translate

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

wreaths, bogeyman






photos are wreaths made by me, miles, and maya.

we had a potluck wreath party and it was a success. friends brought evergreen, bay, and olive branches, dried poppies, berries, artichokes, tiny oranges, clippers, dried flowers. a bunch of ladies and kids sat close together on the back porch in the cool sun and attached plants to wire, and plants to each other, while sipping on hot mulled cider with rum. it was very nice.

just now i was cleaning the greens off the back deck, leaving the back door open as i went in and out, when i felt a stab of fear. there have been two very violent assaults on women in my neighborhood recently. i thought about the door being open and unattended and closed and locked it, then went around the house checking in closets and behind doors to make sure this predator had not snuck into my home. i don't know what i thought i would do if i found him, and this feeling of being scared of a bogeyman coming into my house is awful.

there was also a homicide not far from here not too long ago. is it paranoid to be hyper-vigilant, or is it denial to not be?

i am missing chicken, my big strong barking dog who made me feel safe for many years. i hate that there is fear in the air on my beautiful sunny day off.

No comments: