Translate

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

more experts

(read post while pinching nose shut to get true effect)

i have been dealing with over a month now of very bad sinus congestion. it's really hard to sleep, say my "m", "n" and "ng" sounds, and i am exhausted. it's hard not breathing through your nose. i've been taking claritin and sudafed which have worked in the past, but things are not getting better.

i finally went to the doctor today. she talked to me for about one minute and then said i needed to try a different allergy medicine, like zyrtec. i should stop taking sudafed, as i have been taking it for too long. then see if things improve in a few weeks. she starts to bolt out the door but i get teary eyed and say i don't think it is just allergies, and i really am having trouble functioning, so she quickly prescribes antibiotics and suggests claritin-d instead of the zyrtec. rich just went out and got the medicine--it's claritin and sudafed combined. so what the heck is this dr thinking????? help!!

on another note i am home with 2 sleeping kiddos and my stuffy sinuses. rich is at band practice and i am missing the meeting at miles' preschool with a child psychologist who is there to talk about the effects of the teacher's death. miles is asking about her a lot. as soon as we left school today he said "no one knows what happened to teacher b yet." i asked if he talked ot someone about it but he said no, no one did. he is back to wanting to fall asleep with me next to him, and i am saying sure and hoping it is okay.

3 comments:

kim said...

Remember I TOLD you Clairitan D is the KEY! I take it everyday from March to November. My allergies suck for many months.
Don't be suprised if you don't see much of a difference for a week or ten days. It has to build up in your system.
AND you can take Benedryl with Clairitan D if you need extra help. Those two drugs don't interact badly at all. They are good friends.
Keep taking your nasal spray also.
Do I sound like a Dr?

Anonymous said...

More advice -- don't forget the neti pot! It really helped me, but you have to use it regularly.
Also, do you have a prescription nasal spray like Astelin? They work wonders, I used to use that.
(but now my allergies are all in my throat and lungs) This is a very bad allergy season this year.
Jo

Anonymous said...

I am a HUGE fan of Sinus Rinse. It's got a little more power than a NETI pot but is all about rinsing out the junk.I'm Claritin D fan too.

SB