Translate

Sunday, November 9, 2008

other people's projects


here are a few images of other people's projects. the first is miles tromping through the drizzle at cayuga park.
i included a link to a little local video someone made of the park because it fits in with the post topic, but really, you have to go there! there are hundreds of cool wood sculptures but also, for the kids, little trails and tree forts to climb on and in. high above on a rail swooshes the bart train. ONE person, demetrio braceros has made this little park his life's work (or maybe he has other work too, i don't know, but just these carvings alone look like they must have taken, in miles estimation, sixty one thousand years.

also are photos of children made from broken glass we saw at galleria de la raza on day of the dead night, also more amazing in real life. and a picture miles made to put on the altar for his teacher who mysteriously died last year.

right now i (don't worry mom, i won't) really want to quit my job and sink myself into a huge PROJECT. i've been dreaming about playing music again, writing a book (about ferns, dreams are wierd), even transforming our backyard. right now this little blog is about all the project time i get, and i'm only getting that because the kids are staring at the boobtube down the hall. maybe all the election elation about change has sunk into me, i want a change for me, and to work for some big changes for others. i love my students at work, but doing what i do through the frustrating restraints created by the huge school district administration is making me want to get out and make some of my own big changes in the world, get into my own big and little projects.

did that make any sense? not much sleep last night.

love ya

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a cool place. I agree with Miles time estimation. Besides the blog - you've got at least two other projects by the names of Miles and Maya.

RIght before the holidays I always have all these crafty ideas that I'm going to make all these presents. Spread the creativity around...ha then my creativity gets spent hosting the holiday work party at my house - which is stressing me out!

I think you should make some music.

SV