Translate

Friday, October 15, 2010

put down that book!


stop reading and get ready for school! i found myself saying this about ten times this morning as my two kids sat at the table eating oatmeal as if they were inside a black hole, and reading (in maya's case looking at) comic books. here is miles attempting to brush his teeth while reading

so yes, we have an avid reader here, despite the mandarin immersion, and part of me is pleased to see miles stumbling around our halls reading, and lounging on the couch reading, and sloppily eating oatmeal reading, and sneaking a flashlight into bed. much of me is pleased. but part of me sees myself in this reading fiend, the self that does not like to be left with my thoughts too much, and is too lazy to write a book even though i love to read them. so, my little reader, do beware that reading can be the enemy of writing.

now i am off to read my own book, the only thing i can do to get to sleep. i'm reading louise erdrich's the red convertible, selected and new stories. ahh the sleepy lullaby of heartbreak and humor. the benadryl helps too.

No comments: